Thursday, September 16, 2021

Maori Language week - Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Kia Ora Tatou,

It is Maori language week and what we were doing for Maori language week was learning how to pronounce the longest place in NZ (maybe the world even) Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu. The sentence consists of 85 letters and it is A hill in Hawkes bay. The 85 letter word means "The summit where Tamatea, the man with big knees, the slider, climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his flute to his loved one. Long, right? I was surprised when I first saw the thing! And the I was even more surprised and shocked when I had to pronounce it! I thought I was never going to be able to do it, but, guess what, with the help of my teacher, and A google slide, I was able to pronounce it! Now I'm not going to put it on my blog because it is very bad and cringy, but, I am still surprised I am even able to say it even with some mistakes! If you want to learn yourself, I will break it down into six parts for you below. (This is how I learnt it)
1. Taumata whaka tangihanga koauau
2. O Tamatea turi pukaka
3. Piki maunga
4. Horonuku
5. Pokai Whenua
6. Ki tana tahu.
Try reading one part, and when you think you nailed it, move on to the the other. Once you think you nailed that, read it from the beginning to the part you just learnt from. And so on and so on. Kia Ora!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great Rieza and I'll tell you all the reasons I love it.
    1) You are using punctuation really effectively. Using question marks, commas and brackets are all examples of sophisticated level 3 punctuation.
    2) I think you have some great personal voice in your blog post. An example is: "Long, right? That's really effective and gives me a sense of your connection to this post.
    3) I think the tips on how to break down the name makes it helpful to encourage the blog reader to give it a go themselves!
    4) Including the background on the name is really interesting - The sentence consists of 85 letters and it is A hill in Hawkes bay. The 85 letter word means "The summit where Tamatea, the man with big knees, the slider, climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his flute to his loved one. Well done you. This helps the reader to have context to where this place is and why it was given this name!

    This is an outstanding blog post, and I really enjoyed reading it.
    Ka Pai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Rieza, thanks for teaching us how to pronounce NZ's longest place name! It is challenging but it's actually really fun saying it! Ka pai!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Rieza. You have given us some great tips to learn something that seems so daunting when we first look at it. Thanks also for the contribution of your video last week which we shared with the Kahui Ako. Hang in there Rieza, we are nearly there. You are doing really well.

    ReplyDelete