Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Distance learning - Tessellations

 I lost count of what day we're in in lockdown. Blog 4 in October.

Hello everyone,


Today for Distance learning we were learning about tessellations. Tessellations are sometimes called tiling as well, but I'll be calling it a tessellation. A tessellation is where the designs are made by tiles that can fit perfectly without any gap or overlap. For instance, like A brick wall. All of the bricks fit perfectly into each other without any gaps or overlaps!

You can make a tessellation out of anything, whether it is arrows, triangles, squares, anything! as long as the follow a pattern. All tessellations follow a pattern. Patterns can be created from curves, lines anything. (Like I said before.)

In A tessellation, all corners of the pattern meet at a point called the vertex. A vertex is just A corner point in A tessellation. As an example, look at the photo below;

The photo above is an example of A vertex. Three hexagons meet at this vertex, and hexagons have six sides. Therefore, this is called A 66.6 tessellation.

There are rules as well about the tessellation. Let me run you through them.

Rule 1. The tessellation must fit perfectly into the other shapes without A gap or overlap.

Rule 2. The shapes must be the same size.

Rule 3. The vertex must be the same for every corner.

Those are all of the rules for the tessellation and that is what A tessellation is.

Anyway, we had to make our own tessellation on this website, I just made A triangular tessellation.


Here is my very basic, boring, no colour triangular tessellation. I couldn't be bothered even doing the colours since it already took me so long just to do the actual shape. If you want to make a tesslellation yourself, You can check it out here!

Here is A little presentation I made to help you understand tessellations better;

Congratulations! You made it to the end of my blog post! Thank you for taking your time reading my blog. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment